My Last Decade of Style. [Part 1]

So I have been meaning to do a post like this for awhile now. But I had to wait until 2011 because my style wasn't documented much before this, that or my mother controlled most of it so it wasn't really all me. So here is how I have evolved style-wise since 2001 to 2011 with some commentary.


[2001]

I was into my most intense rebellious period. I was really into the 'punk' revival that was going on and really liked the 'I don't give a fuck' attitude behind the style. I promptly dyed my hair black [I really wanted to dye it pink but my mother would never let that happen] and went to a local supercuts and told the lady to cut it off. She asked if I was going to cry about cutting off all of my hair and I promptly told her that it didn't matter to me. I had to fight with my mom on some of my style choices since she was buying the clothes so it was a strange mix. I used to wear my boyfriend's cut off khaki skater shorts, and made my own customized knock-off vans complete with fake blood. I took up henna tattoo's and this was when I started my collection of fake glasses. I started my hand at making my own clothes after I visited a fashion design college for the summer and wore pink wigs.


[2002]

Well I obviously don't have many photos of this year. But I kept the black hair until senior pictures and then my mom and everyone else in my family all wanted back the 'blonde' jennifer [yes my family still calls me that] and so I told them I would do it but they had to pay for it. I went back to blonde, and decided that getting a perm? was a good idea? I became obsessed with Andy Warhol and Lichtenstein around this time, it was also trending in fashion at the time and I swiped up everything I could get, including the skirt in this photograph. I made my prom dress from a Victorian styled pattern from Wal-mart that had a huge train and a million buttons. It was Burgundy and I wore the flowers that you use for crafts in my hair.


[2003]

I was a high school graduate, and I lived with my Dad in Orlando. So I started experimenting even more. I went thrift shopping all the time and found the best deals. I was really into what I called 'neo-grandma' for awhile. Which meant I bought long polyester skirts and wore them with little kids t-shirts. I cut and colored my hair at least once a month. For the first time in my life I had free rein, I even dyed my dog pink at one time as well. I utilized the Internet to learn how to make my own custom templates, and when I fell in love with Tegan & Sara I made my first stencil, then it was Junior/Senior and I had even made a shirt for my boyfriend at the time. I wore converse knock-offs that had heels on them and black converse to work. I bought fishnet shirts and wore them out to clubs in Miami. I played dress-up constantly and held photo shoots with my incredibly shitty digital camera that I begged my dad to get me. I had no idea what I was doing, but I was sampling from every fashion dish I could get my hands in.


[2004]

I started experimenting more with asymmetrical cuts and BIG Robert Smith reminiscent hair. I shopped the $1 Fabric bins @ Wal-Mart every week and started making my own extra-long sleeved hoodies, dresses made from scraps and even a tube top that I still have to this day. Bright colors ruled my wardrobe. Polka dots, stripes and tailored fitted thrifted items worked their way into my daily wear as well. I started to become obsessed with tights around this time. I also got my first nose piercing, that I ended up having to take out because of my job.


[2005]

I moved to Chicago this year, and used tailored coats to keep warm and to have some semblance of style. I bought knee-hi converse-like shoes from Taiwan on ebay because I thought they would keep me warm, and I went full-on pink for the first time, because I was working from home selling my own clothes and crafts. I absolutely loved making skirts out of old sheets, which is what the last two photographs are of. I bought more wigs for modeling my outfits for my ebay page. I kept my hair pretty short, and experimented with vintage hairstyles.


[2006]

I spent the first the beginning of the year turning 21 in Chicago and with my new Red-Orange Hair. My boyfriend at the time worked @ Target so I was shopping there constantly, he also had a big family with 3 girls so I would get a lot of random hand-me-down's and shopping trips with his mother. The second part of the year I moved back to Florida after our break-up and kind of wanted to start from scratch with my look. I cut my hair and stripped the color and went back to my 'natural' color. It had been nearly a decade since I had started dying my hair and it was strange for me. My style was somewhere between comfortable [I was working 30+ hours a week, going to college and living on my own for the first time ever] and strange combo's of thrift and hand-made

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...