On The Zine Scene!


This weeks 'On the Zine Scene' feature is with Isis.


A lovely australian lady who's 'Tea' zine I fell in love with when I found it on etsy a month or so ago, and so I begged her to let me interview her for the feature, here is the interview :

1. Name, Location, Age.
My name is Isis St Pierre (yes, that's my real name). I'm a 26 year old creative living in the lovely little city of Launceston, Tasmania (that funny little island-state at the bottom of Australia.

2. What are you listening to at this moment?
Cut Copy's new album Zonoscope. I love their epic sound, and I don't know any of the words so I can actually get work done, without trying to belt out the tunes like a wannabe singer! Although any trip to the kitchen for a cuppa turns into a little groove action...

3. What are some of your favorite zines?
Hmmm I've only just got into the zine scene, I mean I've known about it since i was 16 and I love checking out all the zines in Sticky Institute in Melbourne when I'm there, but until recently I haven't really bought any. At the moment I have next to my couch zines by little ephemera empire (www.etsy.com/shop/LittleEphemeraEmpire?ref=pr_shop_more), Mel Stringer (www.etsy.com/shop/girliepains) and crochetsrebellion (www.etsy.com/shop/crochetsrebellion).

4. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I wanted to be (in order) an Artist, Art Teacher, Architect, Graphic Designer, Art Teacher... Sometimes I think I'll never grow up, and sometimes I think I was grown up at age 12. All I know is the older I get the less I feel the pressure of having to 'be' anything at all - and I like that.

5. Any practical tips for people who are interested in making zines?
Just go for it! Don't let your apparent lack of skills stop you, just use the skills you do have. One thing I learned is that it costs a lot more than I expected to put together a zine.

6. Do you read any magazines? If so which?
I used to be a big Frankie fan, but I'm bored of that now. Peppermint, an Australian green fashion mag, is good. But generally I can't find any magazines that have all of the stuff in it I'd like so I've definitely cut back lately.

7. What is the neatest thing that has happened to you from making zines?
Getting interviewed! and people actually buy the zine!

8. Have you ever been interested in publishing something sold at mainstream chains?
No way, boring.

9. Favorite format to make zines, hand-written / type-writer or / computer-typed?
Well I've only made the one zine, the Little Tea Zine, so far and I used the computer for that. But, it turned out looking too much like a regular magazine for my liking so I plan to get back to basics next time and do a lot more hand drawing and cutting & pasting. My favourite zines to look at are ones that are made all by hand.

10. Give some random advice to my readers about anything.
Grow your own food, ride a bicycle, and make your own clothes and you will be happy :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -




The Little Tea Zine

The Little Tea Zine is... well... a little zine... all about tea!

40 pages of recipes, tutorials, stories, facts and all things tea, contributed by tea-lovers all over the world. comes with a free badge!

limited print run, on 100% recycled paper with a 100% recycled cover. the zine is black and white, with coloured artists' pages in the centre.

[I luckily picked up this zine before it sold out [hopefully she does a re-print later! :)] and was so delighted to find an entire zine about Tea. I am not a coffee drinker so I delight in the fine tea's of the world, this zine celebrates my tea obsession!]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Although she is currently sold out of 'The Little Tea Zine' she is putting into works her newest zine called 'Make+Do' and is looking for contributions 'It will include art, craft, tutorials, recipes, gardening, re-fashioning, rants, reviews and anything else they would like to contribute. they should just email me on isisstpierre at gmail dot com'

I love these types of zines, especially ones about gardening [one of my life goals is to have my own garden in my backyard to eat from every day so I am always looking for good advice] so I will be sure to send something along! I hope anyone else out there feels compelled to as well, you don't have to make zines to contribute, by-the-way!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Be sure to check out Isis' beautiful blog @ www.madebyisis.com for a sneak peek into life in Tasmania as well as insight into interesting topics like 'scrumping' while delighting in her design aesthetic as well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks to Isis for letting me interview you for 'On the Zine Scene', you will be getting my contribution soon soon!

Check out other interviews here. And if you are interested in being interviewed for this feature please feel free to email me at jemnifur@gmail.com I love to support my fellow zinesters!




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...