On the Zine Scene!


So I wanted to feature more fun zine stuff on my website other than just my zines. I decided to pull out my stash of zines and email some of the creators of my most cherished zines and see if they would be up for interviews. One for my own pleasure and two to let you people out there who are either into zines or maybe thought about making your own what it is like from other people's perspectives.

I was lucky enough to get Lacey to be my very first interview, and it is fitting because she is the reason that I originally got into making zines. I found one of her zines at a friend's house while visiting Minneapolis and was so fascinated with it. I had no idea that something like this could exist and that you could make it whatever you want, no rules, no limits! I had the pleasure of being in a zinefest with her in Minneapolis last year and was so excited to buy all of her new zines and fall in love all over again.

So without further gushing, here is the interview :

1. Name, Location, Age.:
Lacey Prpic Hedtke, Minneapolis, 29

2. What are you listening to at this moment?
Dark Dark Dark, Bruce Springsteen, Bobby Dylan, The Blow, Motorhead, and lots and lots of NPR.

3. What are some of your favorite zines?
I really like DIY/reference zines. I just got the Zinesters Guide to NYC, and it's great. I like Cindy Crabb's Support Zine, The Down There Collective's HPV zine, any sexy zine, Original Plumbing, Doris #15: The Anti-Depression Guide, Learning Good Consent, Dwelling Portably, Go Fuck Yourself, and basically any other zine that shares skills or resources. I know it's not a zine, but I really really love the Whole Earth Catalog from the late 60s/early 70s.

4. What do you want to be when you grow up?
A traveling 19th century photographer librarian in a wagon pulled by my dog, Vera.

5. Any practical tips for people who are interested in making zines?
It's really easy to put off making a zine because you're not done writing it/don't have the right pictures/it's not going to be perfect. You've got to start somewhere, so just do it, even if it's not exactly perfect. It's one step closer to being what you want! Maybe this is more of a pep talk for myself...I get frozen sometimes and need a kickstart. When you've finished a zine, donate it to zine libraries...they'll take care of it forever, and it's a great way of letting people find it who might not otherwise stumble across it, or you.

6. Do you read any magazines? If so which?
I subscribe to: Aperture, Ready Made, Good, Venus Zine (RIP), Bust, Metro Magazine, Cabinet, Communicating Vessels, Broken Pencil and Metropolis. I just realized that's a lot. I love getting mail, and I love supporting magazines I want to see stay around and grow. I wish I could subscribe to Parkett and the New York Times Magazine. I read The New Yorker, New York Magazine, Time, Newsweek, Atomic Ranch, Blind Spot, Fortean Times, and when they're around. I really loved Sassy Magazine, and can't wait to see what Jane Pratt and Tavi Gevinson do with their new magazine.
I have a better attention span for magazines than books.

7. What is the neatest thing that has happened to you from making zines?
Hmm..The Blank Line Collective did a performance of my first zine, Likes/Dislikes, after finding it in the Chicago Underground Zine Library. I've made some friends and found some writing gigs because of zines. Probably the coolest thing that happens because of zines is when someone approaches me online or at a zine fest and remembers my zines and gives feedback and says like liked them...and then trades for something they did.

8. Have you ever been interested in publishing something sold at mainstream chains?
Yeah, i have. I struggle with this, but I think the more independent stuff that can get to people who might not venture into a Quimbys, or order from a Microcosm, the better.

9. Favorite format to make zines, hand-written / type-writer or / computer-typed?
Typewritered! I can't get out of the 19th century, and I'm completely content here.

10. Give some random advice to my readers about anything.
Hmm...don't let your comfort level get in the way of what you want.
Keep putting yourself out there.
When you're painting a wall, even if it's just over white, buy the paint with primer already mixed in.
The cheapest and most effective security system for your house is a note taped on the front that says DON'T OPEN...Wasps are sleeping!
Tell the truth, unless you think the situation or person would benefit from a little embellishment--sometimes it's more exciting.
Sometimes paying a mortgage is cheaper than renting.
Farmer's Insurance is evil.
Spending money on food from local farmers is worth it.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 



[ the zine that turned me onto zine-making and is a great resource of inspiration for me! ]


[ When I discovered there was a second one I about flipped my shit, it is a sequel that is as good as the original! ]


Etiquette [ I love Etiquette books they are hilarious. This one is actually relevant though. I found myself saying to myself on more than one occasion, why do people not know these things? A must Read! ]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can check out all the rest of Lacey's other zines here. Also if you want to get more Lacey on a daily basis check out her great blog, 'Now that we're being honest'. Some zine stuff, random factoids and always interesting just like Lacey!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I want to thank Lacey for letting me interview her and send out an open invitation to ladies and gents out there who make zines to shoot me an email @ jemnifur@gmail.com if you would like to be interviewed for this feature on my blog, I am all for supporting my fellow zinesters!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...