On the Zine Scene!


This weeks zine interview is with Chris Pernula!


I shared a table with him @ the ZineFest I participated in, in Minneapolis in 2009. We traded zines and I found myself cracking up out loud at his zine 'Moral Fiber' and knew I needed to share the laughs with everyone out there. Check out the interview below :

1. Name, Location, Age.
Chris, Plymouth, MN. 29 years young
2. What are you listening to at this moment?
I am skipping around to different tracks in itunes. Right now I'm listening to "Seven" by Sunny Day Real Estate.
3. What are some of your favorite zines?
Burn Collector, Cometbus, Pick Your Poison, and You Idiot are my favorites.
4. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I have wanted to be an "artist" since they started asking that question in kindergarden. That's the answer I gave then, and I stick with it today.
5. Any practical tips for people who are interested in making zines?
It's going to take longer than you expect. It's going to cost more to print out than you expect. And don't be surprised if no one wants to buy them. Trading is more likely. Or mailing them to friends as gifts.
6. Do you read any magazines? If so which?
I don't read many magazines other than snowboarding stuff or Juxtapoz.
7. What is the neatest thing that has happened to you from making zines?
Doing the 2008 zinefest in Madison with my girlfriend was fun. I ran into my buddy Billy who I haven't seen in years.
8. Have you ever been interested in publishing something sold at mainstream chains?
If a publisher offered to mass produce something, I'd be interested. Writing and illustrating children's books sounds like a good way to spend my retirement years.
9. Favorite format to make zines, hand-written / type-writer or / computer-typed?
The majority of the stuff I have made has been with Quark XPress. That's how my buddy Adam and I started making them in high school. Hand written and photocopied is fun, but I don't have access to a free copier so I don't do it that way as often.
10. Give some random advice to my readers about anything.
Stretch and drink plenty of fluids.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Moral Fiber #3
[I highly recommend this zine if you like one-liners that make you bust out laughing. The accompanying pictures are perfectly stereotypical and fitting.]


Human Burrito
[Photos of people rolled into rugs. There are some zines that you need in your life to simply be able to pull and out and show someone and be like wtf. say the Five Ws and then go about your day, this is one of those]


Super Friends
[i love looking through old photographs and personally collect polaroids to use for projects, so I love this compliation of photographs from thrift stores made into a zine. ]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can get the above zines from Chris' tumblr Subtitles Publishing as well as many of his other zines. Or shoot an email @ subtitlespub@yahoo.com, for a direct email to get any of the above zines!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks to Chris for letting me interview him and I can't wait to see what he creates next!

Check out last weeks interview on Lacey Hedtke here. And if you are interested in being interviewed for this feature please feel free to email me at jemnifur@gmail.com I love to support my fellow zinesters!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...